WVHS--A GRAMMY® Signature School
Music Department Mission Statement:
Music is universal, cultural, and individual. It is with this understanding that the Music Department of Waubonsie Valley High School provides every student with the opportunity to receive a high-quality musical training in school, regardless of grade level, ability level, or background. The goal of this musical training is to help participants achieve a personal level of understanding, appreciation, and passion for music. It is undeniable that music has always been an integral part of human existence. Every culture throughout history carries its own musical traditions. In our culturally diverse society, music is one of the few common threads that links peoples and ideas together. Music education uses the artistic medium of musical sound to give insight into the universal human experience.
- Develop strong musicianship and cultivate aesthetic awareness in the
classroom through the preparation and performance of quality musical
- Provide co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities for all
music students that enhance their musical experience.
- Facilitate opportunities for students seeking musical
- Empower students to create their own music through composition,
arranging, and improvisation.
- Create community on all levels: within our classrooms, our
department, our school buildings, and our local population; as well as
within the national and global community.
- Enrich students' appreciation of the musical arts by attending fine
- Create the best possible learning environment for students to pursue
an education in the musical arts.
- Inspire students to become life-long learners and intelligent
consumers of music.
- Address the needs of students seeking a future career in the field of
CODA: "…Our most noble goals are set in the context of awakening all children to the gift of music and equipping them to use it for a lifetime." Marie McCarthy